Here are 9 ways you can be assertive and put you in a position of control.
1. Make your statements brief and to the point. And also make it crystal clear.
2. Indicate in a plain clear manner that you are not hiding behind someone or something.
3. Go easy on the advice. People usually don’t like it too much to be told that they are wrong.
4. Use questions to seek the views of others and also to gauge their reactions to your behavior
5. Always, yes always distinguish between facts and opinions.
6. Don’t be dogmatic when expressing something. Be positive.
7. Point out that you are aware that others have their point of view
8. If necessary, express without emotion, the negative feeling about the effects of other people’s behavior on you. Be factual.
9. Indicate to people politely the repercussion of their behavior.